The Resilience Toolkit Certification Program gives Facilitators a deep, embodied understanding of stress and trauma physiology in a groundbreaking framework for building inner resources and creating meaningful change. Our Certification Program prepares you to implement The Resilience Toolkit in your own life, so you can authentically and competently guide others along a path of healing and transformation.
Your students are distracted or disruptive, and not meeting their potential. Your clients lack motivation and follow through, or simply can’t break through plateaus. You feel like you’re just chasing your patients’ problems around a tree, more a game of whack-a-mole than true healing.
Regardless of your profession, working with people who are stuck in cycles of stress and trauma is frustrating. Stress and trauma create so much of the dysfunction, distress, and disease that block human healing, growth, and success. Yet with effective tools that unwind stress and build resilience, you successfully navigate challenges, feeling competent and content in your professional abilities.
There are many stress reduction modalities. So what’s unique about The Resilience Toolkit?
- Utilizes a carefully selected suite of mindfulness and movement practices applied based on stress cycle activation
- Activates the human body’s physiologic mechanism to complete the stress and trauma cycle – the therapeutic tremor
- Easily learned, reproduced, and practiced with immediate results being the norm
- Successful in both stress management and trauma healing contexts
- Designed to be used in individual therapeutic environments, group settings, or as a self-help modality
- Smoothly integrates with other traditional mental health and/or physical treatment modalities to support health and healing for those with more severe emotional and/or physical dysfunction or disease
- Can be used across the lifespan from school age to geriatric populations
- Explicitly addresses social ecological risk and protective factors
- Links the development of individual resilience with increased capacity to work for positive change on the community and structural levels
- Inherently cross-culturally adaptive due to the biologic nature of the therapeutic tremor
- Minimal contraindications
The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certification program is a rich experiential process that gives you the tools to take The Toolkit into the world. In an all virtual format, the cohort-based program consists of recorded and live lectures, small group mentoring and discussion, peer and independent practice sessions, suggested reading and reflective writing, supervised teaching, and case consultation. Interactive and cooperative learning foster responsibility, self-awareness, and competency.
- Admission requirements: The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certification Program is open to anyone interested in working with stressed and traumatized people. Prerequisite: Attendance in The Resilience Toolkit 3-part series OR 3 individual Toolkit sessions, AND completion of The Resilience Toolkit Workbook or similar reflective journal.
- Program Length: 18 weeks
- Average Time Commitment: Six hours weekly, PLUS three 4.5-hour workshop sessions
- Technology Requirements: Computer with webcam, stable internet, basic facility with Google documents
- Professional Requirements: Professional liability insurance during facilitation portion of the program
- Program Requirements:
- Three online 4.5-hour weekend workshop sessions on the Saturdays of weeks 6-8
- Online pre-recorded lectures
- Individual mentoring sessions (online or in-person)
- Two session facilitating Toolkit w/ individuals
- Two sessions facilitating Toolkit w/ small groups
- Eight virtual small group meetings with Trainer every other week
- Minimum of 13 weekly virtual peer group practice and facilitation sessions
- Minimum of one peer individual facilitation
- 14 weekly written journal reflections on personal practice
- Independent and peer-based writing and presentations
- Selected articles and media
- Case study
*The Certification Trainer may add extra sessions or assignments at her discretion.
Trainees will demonstrate:
- Embodied knowledge of personal body-mind system with focus on stress-relaxation physiology and trauma responses.
- Ability to identify, attune, follow, and respond to others’ body-mind system, especially stress-relaxation physiology and trauma responses.
- Explore the impact of historical, cultural, and ecological context on stress-relaxation physiology and trauma responses with individuals and groups.
- Ability to competently and safely teach Toolkit framework and facilitate Toolkit skills to others for regulation, resourcing, and stabilization within the trauma-informed paradigm.
- Ability to support others in developing robust, sustained personal practice of The Toolkit.
- Embodied self-awareness
- Stress and resilience from multiple lenses:
- Ecology and ethology
- Evolutionary neurobiology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Biopsychosocial and social ecology
- Sex and gender
- Race, culture, and history
- Instruction and facilitation of Toolkit mindfulness and movement practices with individuals and groups
- Trauma-informed facilitation principles
- Facilitation in virtual settings
- Ethics and professionalism
- Behavior change theory
- Lessons from Motivational Interviewing
- Habit formation
Program Costs and Payment
- Total $3,350 USD
- Payment plans – There is a one time $100 USD administration fee for all payment plans due with the second payment.
- 4-month plan:
- $980 USD deposit due on registration
- $790 USD per month for three months
- 6-month plan:
- $980 USD deposit due on registration
- $474 USD per month for five months
- 4-month plan:
- CEU certificate cost is $30 USD for weekend workshop (optional)
- Certification fees are payable by credit card or check.
* Cancellation Policy: Registration fee is fully refundable prior to beginning program ONLY with at least 10 day written notice, minus a $100 USD administration fee.
* Withdrawal Policy: Participants who cancel with less than 10-day notice or withdraw early from the program will receive a prorated refund based on the number of weeks remaining at the point of withdrawal at $197 USD per week, minus an early withdrawal fee of 10% of the remaining balance.
* Program Extension Policy: Participants who do not complete the program in 18 weeks, will incur a $200 USD monthly charge until program completion or withdrawal, whichever comes first. The monthly charge will not be prorated. If the Certification Trainer determines that extra supervisions are needed for the trainee to meet basic competency, the extra supervisions will be billed at $175/hour.
- Total £ 2550 GBP
- Payment plans – There is a one time £75 administration fee for all payment plans due with the second payment.
- 4-month plan:
- £ 750 GBP deposit due on registration
- £ 600 GBP per month for three months
- 6-month plan:
- £ 750 GBP deposit due on registration
- £ 360 GBP per month for five months
- 4-month plan:
* Cancellation Policy: Registration fee is fully refundable prior to beginning program ONLY with at least 10 day written notice, minus a £ 75 GBP administration fee.
* Withdrawal Policy: Participants who cancel with less than 10-day notice or withdraw early from the program will receive a prorated refund based on the number of weeks remaining at the point of withdrawal at £ 150 GBP per week, minus an early withdrawal fee of 10% of the remaining balance.
* Program Extension Policy: Participants who do not complete the program in 18 weeks, will incur a £ 160 GBP monthly charge until program completion or withdrawal, whichever comes first. The monthly charge will not be prorated. If the Certification Trainer determines that extra supervisions are needed for the trainee to meet basic competency, the extra supervisions will be billed at £ 135 GBP/hour.
Professional Continuing Education Credits
- Participants eligible for 6.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per in-person full workshop day and 2.5 CEUs per in-person half workshop day from the California Board of Registered Nursing
- Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP15871, for total of 15.5 Contact Hours
The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certificate
The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certificate is good for life. All certificants will be listed on The Resilience Toolkit website under the Basic Certification category in the Facilitator listing guide.
Maintenance of Active Certificate Status
Completion of a minimum of four mentorship hours or approved continuing education per calendar year will grant Active Certification status and listing on the The Resilience Toolkit website under the Active Certification category in the Facilitator listing guide. Mentorship hours provided by The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certification Trainers in individual or group format are acceptable.
Maintenance of Advanced Certificate Status
Upon successful completion and acceptance of Advanced Certificate requirements, Facilitators are required to complete a minimum of eight mentorship hours or approved continuing education per calendar year to maintain Advanced status and listing in the Facilitator listing guide.
Director of Certification
Nkem Ndefo, MSN, CNM, RN, is the creator of The Resilience Toolkit and founder of Lumos Transforms. She is a skilled practitioner, dynamic speaker, and valued strategist. She is known for her unique ability to connect with people of all types by holding powerful healing spaces, weaving complex concepts into accessible narratives, and creating synergistic and collaborative learning communities that nourish people’s innate capacity for healing, wellness, and connection.
Jane Courtney, RN, RTC, SEP, is a Resilience Toolkit Certification Trainer, Registered Nurse, Registered Therapeutic Counsellor, and Somatic Experiencing Practitioner. She holds a degree in Nursing from The University of Michigan and has worked in a variety of hospital and clinical settings in the US and Canada. Most recently, Jane completed Somatic Touch Training for Resilience and Regulation, which focuses on early developmental trauma.
Mary P. Shriver, CMT, is a Resilience Toolkit Certification Trainer, Certified Provider of Trauma Release Exercises (TRE®), Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Compassion Fatigue Educator, and holds a B.S. in Psychology from Denison University. Additional training includes the Trauma Resilience Model and Community Resilience Model through the Trauma Resource Institute, Motivational Interviewing for Behavior Change (MINT), and Level 1 Resistance Flexibility with Bob Cooley.
Ije Ude, MA is a Resilience Toolkit Certification Trainer, Certified Life Coach and Wellness Strategist. She holds a Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology and has worked in the gender violence and social justice movements for the past 20 years as an organizer, trainer and youth worker.
Arrowyn Ambrose is a Resilience Toolkit Certification Mentor, Certified Council Trainer, Certified Teaching Artist, and Certified Race Equity and Healing Justice Facilitator. She has studied Viola Spolion’s long-form organic improvisation and creative writing. With a background in the creative and performing arts, Arrowyn believes in the healing power of story and is passionate about ethical storytelling.
Devika Shankar is a Resilience Toolkit Certification Mentor, transnational feminist, organizer, and passionate advocate for justice. For over 12 years, Devika has worked with youth, women of color, immigrant, and LGBTQ survivors providing counseling, support services, and advocacy, and over the past 4 years, has worked with individuals who do harm in relationships, as well.
Anyone who wants to deeply understand and work with stress, trauma, and resilience.
Parents • Educators • Healthcare Providers • Mental Health Professionals • Social Workers • Coaches • Fitness Professionals • Bodyworkers • Healers • Managers • Public Servants • Activists • Military • Clergy • First Responders
The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certification program is a rich experiential process that gives you the tools to take The Toolkit into the world. Interactive and cooperative learning fosters responsibility, self-awareness, and mastery.
What Graduates are Saying
“You have developed an impressive and life-changing model.”Cheryl Grills, Ph.D.Professor of Psychology, Loyola Marymount University
“The Resilience Toolkit Facilitator Certification shifted my paradigm regarding online learning. I had no idea it could be such a high level of education. It was intense, but the teaching team’s ability to comprehend and share that comprehension in layers is a rare quality. It is one thing to know, another to teach. Nkem and Mary are top-notch educators who walk their talk. They are present, embodied and calm. I am eternally grateful for this experience and it is my intention to change lives with this much-needed Resilience Toolkit. I hold them in the highest of esteem.”Sandra LarsenCPT and Certified Facilitator of The Resilience Toolkit
Certified Facilitators of The Resilience Toolkit who hold an Active Certificate have completed the Basic Certification program and continue to update their knowledge and skills with ongoing education and mentorship.
Certified Facilitators of The Resilience Toolkit who hold an Advanced Certificate have demonstrated deep experience and masterful skills working with individuals and groups. Advanced Facilitators continually sharpen their competencies with ongoing education and mentorship.
The Resilience Toolkit Post-Certification Internship Program offers Certified Toolkit Facilitators mentorship during facilitation experience with placements at non-profit and community-based organizations working with a wide range of populations in individual and/or group formats.